When I think about freedom of expression, I often think about social media first because along with the rest of the world I use it everyday and I hope for it to become my carer one day.
Apps like instagram and TikTok allow me and so many others to share ANYTHING about themselves, many people find more comfort sharing important information online then they do in person. But people also have the opportunity to share the simplest of things like posting a photo of your bowl of pasta or making a TikTok because you liked how your outfit looked.
People can decide what parts of themselves they want to share with others and what parts they want to hide that they might not be able to hide in real life. Social Media connects directly to Baker's idea because expressing ourselves can actually help us figure out who we are and can help higher our self asteem.
This us something I can relate to personally because I am so intrested in social media and comm. I have seenhow social media has affected my life and I have seen how it can be used for much more than just sharing with friends. It personally has helped me develop my voice and has really helped me be more productive by posting "day in my life's." When someone creates content, they have to think about what they want the viewers to know about them and take away from the content. Wether or not someone posts content about the gym, lifestyle, cooking, or fashion, they are making a choice about how they want to express themselves on their platform and how that want their viewers to see them.
Research also shows that young people see social media as a place to vent, meet friends and a place to express their creativity through content. According to a 2025 pew research center study, 63% of teens said social media gives them a place to show their creative side, while 74% said it makes them feel more connected to their friends. These stats stood out to me because they show Baker's theory happening in the real world. People are not only speaking online they are using that content to create, connect, and find people.
| Graph from Pew research center |
This is why I think Baker's theory is so important. Genuion self expression isn't just having the ability to speak and share what you think, its having the freedom and the choice to communicate your OWN identity. If everyone only posted things they think all viewers would approve of social media would not be what it is today.
I also think this connects to why freedom of speech is so truly important beyond social media. Every individual needs an opportunity to express opinions that may be different from everyone else. We all develop as individuals by sharing ideas, listening to other people, and learning how to agree to disagree. Having the opportunity to express yourself gives the individual a sense of independence and control over your own self growth and your own identity.
Overall, everyones individual self fulfillment is the value of free exoression that feels the most important to me. Social media has show me how I want to display myself in everyday life and has grown my knowledge in so many aspects. It gave me a voice and continues to give so many other people their won voices. It has helped people discover their interests and has helped them find a community they can fit into with out having to change themselves. To me, that makes freedom of expression even more important. Having a voice is not just about being able to say something, it is about having the freedom and choice to figure out who you are and share that person with the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment